After contemplating it for over a year, I’ve finally upgraded this site to WordPress. Please excuse the classic theme hereI’m using Patricia Muller’s “Connections” theme, I’m still undecided about whether or not to bring back the old “jpreardon.com” theme. I’ll also apologize in advance for anything that might be broken here. There are a couple things that I don’t think I’ll be bringing back such as the blogroll. The one on the old site was quite out of date and I’m not sure if I think blogrolls are all that useful anymore. The Flickr Photostream will probably be back in some form in the near future though.

Just a few words about WordPress which I have used on a couple other projects with minimal difficulty. The export/import process was without pain for the most part. In fact, I had the site running with all of my previous posts from my Moveable Type installation in under 15 minutes. It would have taken less time if my original export file was under 5 megabytes. The thing pushing it over 5 megs was trackback spam. I had been pretty vigilant about comment spam, but the trackback stuff was happening under my radar. I rectified this situation by deleting the crap out of the Moveable Type database before exporting for the second try. Hopefully the trackback spam will not be an issue on WordPress.

If you happen to encounter any problems with the site, please leave a comment on this post.

Thanks!

Update: I spent a bit more time ensuring that all of my old posts from MT redirected to the new WP version. This is accomplished with a combination of Alex King’s Movable Type individual entry template and some mod_rewrite fun. After I rebuilt the old MT individual entries, I deleted just about everything but those files from the old blog. All seems to work well. I could have made the redirect for the old archive pages more graceful (they just redirect to the home page now), but I think it works well enough. More detailed instructions for migrating from MT to WP are available on the WordPress site.