It’s been a long while since I lost music in a rental car. In 93, a tape player latched on to a killer mixtape somewhere south of D.C. and wouldn’t let go. Unfortunately, since the tape was stuck, the listening options for the next few-hundred miles were either the killer mixtape or nothing. After a few hours, the “killer” description took on a whole new meaning. I was so sick of that damn tape by the time I returned the car that I didn’t bother trying to retrieve it.
No matter how sick I was of that tape at the end of the trip, it was irreplaceable. The consequences aren’t quite as dire in these digital days and I’m not the least bit upset about my most recent loss. I can recreate the CD with a few clicks and I hope someone else gets some enjoyment from the one I lost. Of course, it might have ended up in the garbage bin at the garage on East 43rd Street, although, I’m pretty sure they don’t clean the cars that thoroughly
If by chance, someone does come across the unlabeled CD I left in that Budget rental car with Wisconsin plates, here’s the track information. Enjoy!
- Dizzy Gillespie – Manteca (Funky Lowlives Remix)
- Dar Williams – Beautiful Enemy
- Alphawezen – Speed of Light
- The Magic Numbers – Forever Lost
- Elvis Costello – The Beat
- The Pixies – Here Comes Your Man
- Todd Evans – Into the Sun
- Aretha Franklin – Rock Steady
- The Blacks – Raincoat
- Buffalo Tom – Soda Jerk
- Luna – Sideshow by the Seashore
- John Wesley Harding – The Triumph Of Trash
- The New Pornographers – My Rights Versus Yours
- The Decemberists – July, July!
- Jump, Little Children – Too High
- The Cardigans – Live and Learn
- The Besnard Lakes – On Bedford and Grand
- Michael Franti And Spearhead – Yell Fire
- Donald Byrd – Think Twice