Yesterday was a productive day on the amp front. I made a little progress mounting components on the front panel. I also made a lot of progress with the electronics.
With everything wired up, albeit temporarily, I was happy when I saw the tube glow for the first time, and even happier when I ran some music through it. The amp sounds great. It has a brightness that others have noted, it’s the sort of profile that goes well with the warm sound of first track I played through it (What if We All Stopped Paying Taxes – Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings).
It’s not perfect. There is a low level hiss, noticeable only when there is no sound. I’ll have to see what I can do to get rid of that. It also picks up some RFI if something like an iPhone is within a foot of the circuitry.
Now I need to work on getting it cleaned up and in the enclosure so the guts aren’t splayed out on my desk.