The only post that appears on both lists is about the motorcycle trip to Montreal. I’m always surprised with the number of people interested in making a soundcard cable or repair a Bose 901 EQ. By the way, PDF schematic diagram for that EQ is not represented on this list, but is probably viewed more than any of these other pages.
A couple weeks ago, I downloaded all of my Flickr data. At the time, I wasn’t sure what I’d do with all of it. Today, I uploaded everything to this WordPress site with the help of some Python scripts I created. The scripts are available on Github, if that’s your sort of thing: flickr-wp-upload.
I won’t go into the details here, but I will leave you with my final thought from my worklog on the project:
My justification: 2,001 photos were uploaded (with meta data), 31 albums were created and 150 comments ported over. At a conservative 3 minutes per manual upload, it would have taken about 12.5 working days for me to upload this stuff. Let alone assembling the albums, and the comments would have been lost. Plus, I learned a few things along the way (e.g. how to rotate images with Python).
I’ve been following the IndieWeb movement for a while now. I won’t get into all of the reasons why right now, but I agree with and want to support what they are doing. While I was very curious, I hadn’t done anything. Dave Slusher’s in-depth post on his experience, This Blog Has a POSSE, helped push me over the edge–partially due to the Andre the Giant reference.
Today, I spent some time configuring this site so that it can participate in the IndieWeb ecosystem. This means that publishing to silos such as Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook is easier. More interestingly, likes, comments and such made on those silos should make it back to this site–that’s the idea anyway. This is the inaugural post, so we’ll see how things go.
Here’s the short story of what I did (a more detailed write-up is in the offing):
Added some information to my home page to support web sign in and an h-card. These are outlined on indiewebify.me.
This site has been compromised a couple times this year, so I’ve taken a few steps to prevent it from happening in the future:
Moved to a different host. Server security probably had little to do with this latest problem, but I’ve been looking for a reason to move to what I thought would be a faster host for a while. So, I’m back on Pair Networks, where this site was hosted for many years.
Fresh installations of everything since many files had been compromised.
Limited the number of WordPress plugins being used. One of the problems I had in the past was due to a vulnerability in a plugin. While I keep the plugins up to date, the fewer the better.